We’ve written a lot about creating online stores, what you need to do, and what some of the best features are that you can use to enhance your store. But now you might be stumped on one of the most basic questions: what do I sell?
One of the best ways to monetize your Wordpress site is to create an online store. This method of monetization has become so widespread that the site once meant for blogging has expanded to accommodate online stores and their necessary services. For example, WooCommerce- the main plugin used to moderate online stores- has become one of the most popular plugins that people use to power their WordPress sites. Overall, it’s a proven way to make money.
You may be looking into starting an online store because you want to have a side hustle. Let’s face it- not many of us have the types of salaries that we can live off of comfortably without having something on the side. But you might be stuck on some ideas of what you can do.
For this article, we’ve compiled a list of the different things you can sell in a WordPress store that have been proven to bring in revenue and that will become a side job you enjoy doing.
- Online Courses
In our last article, we completely outlined how you can create online courses on your WordPress site. This is a great idea if you have a certain niche and are willing to share your knowledge with other people. You can create a site similar to Khan Academy where you and others teach people about a wide range of academic topics. If you’re well-versed in standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT, or the IELTS and TOEFL if you live outside the US, you can guide students on their path to success. You can teach people another language or an entire skill, such as computer programming, hairstyling, event planning, and more. The possibilities are endless. While lots of people have their own online courses, you possess unique knowledge. Make sure you share that with others!
- Dropshipping Store
We have also talked about dropshipping in a previous article. This is a method that is growing in popularity due to how easy it is. Basically, you have to choose a vendor- AliExpress is one of the most popular sites where you will be able to find one- to supply you with products. You advertise these products on an online store and people make orders. You then place an order for all the products people wanted, then the vendor ships those products out. That’s it. You don’t have to worry about shipping or inventory; that’s all taken care of.
As far as what to sell?
It’s worth checking out what is trending on some of the most popular sites online, such as Amazon and eBay. Some other ideas include phone cases, small gadgets like head massagers and lip balms that you’d be likely to buy impulsively, and clothing.
- Craft Store
If you yourself have a brand or a talent of making products, why not showcase it online? There are plenty of different ideas that you can choose from and learn how to make. Here is a small list of the thousands of options you can choose from.
- Products with natural ingredients: People have been getting into products that are manufactured solely using natural ingredients. These include but are not limited to: food, makeup, skincare, and haircare. You will need to pass the proper courses and have your products approved, but it’s an idea that has grown in popularity.
- Acrylic nails: Some popular shops people have opened are ones selling acrylic nails. You can make nails of all different shapes and colors and sell them to people on your store.
- Accessories: This may be one of the most common reasons why people open their own store online. You also have many ideas to choose from. Lots like to make jewelry, especially using beads, but you don’t just have to limit yourself to that. You can make barrettes, brooches, headbands, and more. Find your niche and get creative!
- Paintings: If you’re a talented artist, then don’t let your talent go to waste! You can sell your paintings online and gain profit and recognition that way. You may choose to paint a specific genre or color scheme, or you can even allow people to place orders of exactly what they want. The options are endless.
- Clothes and other Fabrics: You can even make your own clothes and other materials made out of fabric. If you’re good with the sewing machine, there are loads of different things you can make. Some options include scarves, sweaters, blankets, bedding, and more.
- Furniture: And if you really want to get handy, you can make furniture and sell it for people. This can be done locally so you have an easier time with shipping, too. You can make anything from larger furniture to smaller furniture, from beds to small chairs, and sell it online.
- Service Advertisements
You’ve probably heard of websites like Fiverr and Upwork where you have the ability to advertise your services to a wide audience of people and have them place orders telling you exactly what they want. Some things that you can advertise on these sites might include translations, content writing, designs, photography, and voiceovers. No matter what talent you have, you can choose to build a website where you advertise what you can do. If you want a more local base, you can advertise hairstyling, cosmetology, and more.