If you want to be able to have a successful Wordpress site, one of the most important things that you have to do is remain active. We’ve spent a lot of time talking about some of the great things that you can do to make sure that your WordPress site itself will have all the features you’re looking for, but in this article, we’re going to go back to the basics and talk a little bit about the art of blogging itself. While investing some (or a lot) money in your site, making sure you have all the advanced plugins, and staying up-to-date on interesting themes is important, none of that will matter if you don’t remain active.
But the question remains: how active are you supposed to be?
You might believe that being active means posting several times every day, but there is such a thing as posting too much, which will have an adverse effect. But the fact of the matter is, there is no magic number. All of this comes down to the type of blog that you have and what it demands.
- You might have decided to open up a gossip site or some sort of news column. This does mean that you will have to post something every day, sometimes even several times per day. You’ll want to remain active and post as soon as you find out something that would be worth posting on the blog because it will gather trust among your audience to check out your site first for their news.
- Someone reading this article might have a blog about recipes, cars, their favorite products of a certain category, etc. This means that you don’t have to post as often. Some people who have these types of blogs tend to post twice or three times per week, usually leaving once per week as the minimum. This means that your audience won’t be overwhelmed by the number of times you choose to post, but it also means that you won’t lose followers by keeping them up-to-date on content that interests them.
How can I find the magic number?
Again, this will depend entirely on your site. One thing that a lot of new bloggers do is experimenting. For one person, posting once a month might be the best way to keep their audience happy, but another person might find that posting three times per week is better. Try this for several weeks and see what happens. You will be able to check the insights of your blog to see how many views your different blog posts have, as well as how many times they’ve been shared and where the traffic is coming from. Once you have found a way that seems to allow you to have the maximum number of views possible, this is your magic number.
Some important things to remember…
- Once you find this magic number, stick to it. Whether you’ve decided that you’re going to post three times a week or once every two weeks, you need to stay consistent. Not following this schedule is going to cause you to lose followers and is going to cause people to lose interest. And, we’ve talked a lot about search engine optimization– or SEO- on this website. Another thing that search engines like are websites that post on a consistent basis. Making sure that you update your website according to a schedule will mean that it will appear higher in search results.
- It’s better to make posts that are shorter and more frequent than ones that are longer. With all of that being said, both readers and search engines prefer websites that provide them with content that is shorter and that is updated more consistently. Think about yourself- do you prefer to read longer texts or shorter ones? Most of us tend to skip over long articles and only skim the important points. This goes for every blogger too. You’ll want to make sure that what you post is to the point so that you don’t bore your readers. And try to choose a number of times to post that will be more consistent. Have you ever liked a website and checked it out frequently only to grow bored and not check it out anymore when it updated too slowly? That’s what will happen to your audience and to your website as well if you don’t update at a somewhat frequent level.
- Consistently come up with new and exciting topics. This is also something that could affect how frequently you post. You don’t want to post on an almost daily basis only to find that you have no more ideas for what to post after a period of time. Something that you might want to do is make some sort of list of all the topics you want to write about so that you won’t end up running out of ideas. You’ll also want to investigate the market you’re targeting your content towards. You might want to avoid writing about topics that have already been covered in depth by every other blogger out there and see if you can try coming up with some unique content for your viewers.
- The time you post is also key. You may not have considered this, but the time of the day that you upload absolutely will have an impact on how many people read your blog. If you publish a blog post at 3 AM, for example, the chances of someone reading it are very slim. But if you try to target it at a time when people are more likely to be active- for example, during the evening- more people will see and read your posts. You will also be able to check out the insights of your page to see what time people are most active to help you gauge your posts.
Overall, the number of times you should post is something that is entirely personal and that depends on the type of blog you have. We hope that this advice helped you and please let us know if you have any further questions.